Friday 13 January 2017

ColourPop... too good to be true?



I have always wanted to try some of the indy makeup brands that are based out of the US. Morphe (see past blog post), Makeup Geek, and ColourPop were always on the top of my list. Being "international" has always held me back due to outrageous freight charges and customs fees as well as the exchange rate. A few weeks ago, ColourPop held a sale for four days, which was 20% off all KathleenLights favourites. That's pretty amazing as ColourPop is pretty affordable as it is. When I saw that they offer free shipping for international orders $50+, I was in. First of all, I ordered on the last business day before Christmas and I received my order within two weeks. That's amazing, especially as those two weeks are very busy with packages and there are government holidays in there. Shipping had me VERY impressed.

Not only did shipping have me impressed, but the packaging was amazing. The box was very cute and well-designed. Also, there was so much foam padding inside that everything made it to me safely. Well, one eyeliner had a piece break off, but that had nothing to do with the packaging.


Not only was the packaging amazing, my order also included a hand written note and a booklet which explains how to use each and every product that they offer. I was so incredibly impressed.

EYE SHADOWS
I ordered a few of their Colour Shock shadows to try out. Most people rave about the metallic ones but really don't enjoy the matte shadows. I actually really enjoy the matte shadow I chose. I used Central Perk and it's a beautiful deep burgundy. Smoking it out on the lower lash line is amazing. I also love to throw it in my crease for a more dramatic look. The texture of these shadows is very unique. The only way I can describe it is that it is similar to a pancake with syrup soaked into it. Yes, that's a very strange comparison, but there is nothing else I can compare it to. They're soft, slightly spongey, and a little moussy.... sort of? These shadows are best applied with a finger, but I love applying them with a synthetic brush for a smokier effect in the crease or lower lashline. I also ordered the KathleenLights "Where the Night Is" quad. It is SO beautiful. I created one of my favourite eye looks to date using it.


Telepathy ~ Lid
Weenie ~ Transition/Inner Corner
Midnight ~ Outer V/Crease
Porter ~ Lower Lashline/Above Crease
Mr Bing Gel Liner ~ Waterline

EYELINERS
I ordered a few of their coloured liners to try as they are another raved about product. I do really like these as they are pretty pigmented, last a long time, and are $5 each! That's so affordable! The only thing I noticed is they slightly irritate my eyes when I first apply them to my waterline, but it goes away within seconds. I don't use them every day, but when I need a punch of colour on an eye look, I will pull them out. I ordered a bright blue (Beesting), a bright green (Teaspoon), a dark teal (Fast Lane), a warm brown (Mr Bing) and a nude (Honeydude), 

LIP PRODUCTS
I wanted a variety of lip products. I got a lip liner (Skimpy), lip gloss (Piranha), satin liquid lip (November) and two lippie stix (Aquarius/Lumiere). The lip liner is very creamy and works amazingly. I don't use lip liners too much, but it's a great one to have in my collection. The lip gloss is nice, but not my favourite formula. It is sheer and something nice to layer over a nude lipstick, but I do generally prefer a gloss that isn't transparent. I will definitely keep this in my collection. The satin lip is another formula that is raved about. I find it.... ok. I love liquid lipsticks, but because this doesn't dry down matte it will transfer. I also find that this formula got thick on the inner rim of my lips, which wasn't pleasant, however I could have just applied too much. I will keep testing this out to see if my mind changes. The lippie stix were great! They have a scent that reminds me of caramel corn (especially Aquarius). I wear Aquarius all of the time. The cream formula is amazing and comfortable. Lumiere is beautiful and the formula is matte. This one wears longer than Aquarius and I find it almost as comfortable.

HIGHLIGHTER
I wanted to try one of their cheek products, so I decided to give a highlighter a try. It's the same pillowy texture as the eye shadows and I use my fingers to apply it to my cheeks. To blend it for a more subtle look, I use a duo-fiber brush to work it in. Lunch Money is beautiful for my fair skin. I also use it to highlight my brow bone and my inner corner with some eye looks. I love how pigments can be used for multiple effects. 

Overall, I'm very happy about this purchase. They are an amazing company, cruelty free, affordable and great quality. I was so excited when they announced they were coming out with pressed panned eye shadows. You know I was on that website today at 1pm EST ordering them as they became live. As soon as I test them out, you guys will be the first to know.

Have you guys tried Colourpop before? What are your favourite products? Is there anything that you would like me to try out? Let me know! I want to know what you guys want to hear about! I'm currently testing out different mascaras for an upcoming post. Stay tuned for that!

As always, you can reach me on Instagram @cherrytrish or on Twitter @cherrytrish17. Let me know what you guys think!

So, until next time, goodnight my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment